Young People 16 to 25

The Hicks Group Patients Forum

(Covering the Charles Hicks and Roman Gate Surgeries)

Huntingdon & Godmanchester

Cambridgeshire, UK

Young People 16 to 25 years old

Chlamydia - NHSchoices

Chlamydia is one of the most common sexually transmitted infections in the UK.  It is passed on from one person to another through unprotected sex and is particularly common in sexually active teenagers and young adults.

If you live in England, are under 25 and are sexually active, it is recommended that you get tested for chlamydia every year or when you change sexual partners.

Symptoms of chlamydia

Most people with chlamydia don't notice any symptoms and don't know they have it.  If you do develop symptoms you may experience:

  • pain when urinating
  • unusual discharge from the vagina, penis or rectum (back passage)
  • in women, pain in the tummy, bleeding during or after sex, and bleeding between periods
  • in men, pain and swelling in the testicles

If you think you're at risk of having an STI or have any symptoms of chlamydia, visit your GP community contraceptive service or local genitourinary medicing (GUM) clinic to get tested.

Getting tested for chlamydia

Testing for chlamydia is done with a urine test or a swab test.   You don't always need a physical examination by  nurse or doctor.

How chlamydia is treated

Chlamydia can usually be treated with antibiotics.  You may be given some tablets to take on the day, or a longer course of capsules to take for a week.

For more information see NHS Choices:

Help in a mental health crisis

The First Response Service (FRS) puts your mental health first.  It provides 24-hour access, seven days a week, 365 days a year, to mental health care, advice and support.

If you are experiencing something that makes you feel unsafe, distressed or worried about your mental health you can now contact the FRS by dialing 111 and selecting option 2.   This service is for all ages.   If you aren't able to make the call yourself then anyone can call on your behalf.

More information about mental health issues and where to get help can be found on these websites:

Keep your head and


it's a busy time of year supporting young adult carers as they make their transition fromCollege and Sixth Form into apprenticeships, university and employment.  Support is being given to individuals across the county including Statury Carer's Assessments, help with writing a CV and support for planning a gap year.

For more information about support available to young adult carers aged 16-25 years, phone Nicky Hornsby on 01480 499098 or email



Crossroads carer service

Self-Harm - NHSchoices

Self-harm is when somebody intentionally damages or injures their body.   It's usually a way of coping with or expressing overwhelming emotional distress, it can also be a cry for help.

Getting help

If you're self-harming you should see your GP for help.They can refer you to healthcare professionals at a local community mental health service for further assessment.  The assessment will result in your care team working out a treatment plan with you to help with your distress.

Treatment for people who self-harm usually involves seeing a therapist to discuss your thoughts and feelings, and how these affect your behaviour and wellbeing.  They can also teach you coping strategies to help prevent further episodes of self-harm.  If you're badly depressed, it could also involve taking antidepressants or other medication.

Useful organisations

There are organisations that offer support and advice  for people who self-harm, as well as their friends and families.  These include:

  • Samaritans - call 116 123 (open 24 hours a day), email: or visit your local Samaritans branch.
  • Mind - call 123 3393 or text 86463 (9am-6pm on weekdays)
  • Harmless - email
  • National Self Harm Network forums
  • Young Minds Parents Helpline - call 0808 802 5544 (9.30-4pm on week days)

Find more mental health lines

Types of self-harm

There are many different ways people can intentionally harm themselves, such as:

  • cutting or burning their skin
  • punching or hitting themselves
  • poisoning themselves
  • misusing alcohol or drugs
  • deliberately starving themselves (anorexia nervosa) or binge eating (bulimia nervosa)
  • excessively exercising

People often try to keep self-harm a secret because of shame or fear of discovery.  It's often up to close family and friends to notice when somebody is self harming, and to approach the subject with care and understanding.

Signs of self-harm

  • unexplained cuts, bruises or cigarette burns, usually on their wrists, arms, thighs and chests
  • keeping themselves fully covered at all times, even in hot weather
  • signs of depression, such as low mood, tearfulness or a lack of motivation or interest in anything
  • self-loathing and expressing a wish to punish themselves
  • not wanting to go on and wishing to end it all
  • becoming very withdrawn and not speaking to others
  • changes in eating habits or being secretive about eating, and any unusual weight loss or weight gain
  • signs of low slef esteem, such as blaming themselves for any problems or thinking they're not good enough for something
  • signs they have been pulling out their hair
  • signs of alcohol or drugs misuse.

People who self-harm can seriously hurt themselves, so it's important that they speak to a GP about the underlying issue and request treatment or therapy that could help them.